How your podiatrists in Howell can help
If you are dealing with hammertoes, you already know how difficult it can be to put on shoes. You may be having difficulty walking, and may be experiencing foot pain. The good news is there are effective treatments to eliminate the discomfort and disfigurement of hammertoes. Dr. Richard Lesser and Dr. William Hoffman at Family Foot Health Center in Howell, NJ, want to share the facts about hammertoes and how you can get relief.
A hammertoe results from muscles holding your toe at an angle. Over time, the muscles and tendons lose their ability to relax and you will be unable to straighten out your toe. This imbalance results in your toe bending outward at the middle joint, resembling a hammer. You will typically see a hammertoe in the second, third, or fourth toe.
There are a few reasons your toe might be bending in the wrong position. You can develop a hammertoe if you:
- Wear shoes that don’t fit well, without enough toe room
- Have a muscle or tendon imbalance in your foot
- Have a degenerative joint condition like arthritis
- Have experienced a traumatic injury to your toe
- Experience pressure from a callus or bunion
- Have a high arch in your foot, causing your foot to press forward
If you notice you are developing a hammertoe, you can try:
- Changing to wider shoes that won’t cramp your toes
- Wearing open shoes or sandals
- Stretching out each of your toes with your fingers
- Doing toe exercises by trying to grab objects off of the floor
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen
- Using pads or cushions to support your feet
For stubborn cases of hammertoe, your best option is to see the experts, your podiatrists at Family Foot Health Center. They offer several effective treatments including:
- Splints and other devices to straighten and realign your toe
- Custom orthotics or footwear to correct muscle/tendon imbalance
- Prescription strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Surgical realignment in severe cases
If you are dealing with hammertoes, it’s time to get relief by calling Dr. Lesser and Dr. Hoffman at Family Foot Health Center in Howell, NJ. Don’t wait to get relief, call today!