Posts for: June, 2018
Struggling with toenail fungus? Toenail fungus is an infection underneath the surface of the toenail caused by fungus. It can make your toenail get thicker or change color. It can also be painful. Left untreated, the fungal infection could spread to other toenails, your fingernails, or skin. Family Foot Health Center, which is located in Howell, NJ, offers treatments for toenail fungus. Dr. Richard Lesser and Dr. William Hoffman are some of the top podiatrists in Howell, NJ.
1. Topical Nail Polish- Topical nail lacquer is used to treat fungal infections of the fingernails and toenails. Topical nail lacquer works by stopping the growth of nail fungus. The nail lacquers which are currently available to treat nail fungus are amorolfine and ciclopirox nail lacquers. Topical treatment with nail lacquer may last as long as one year.
2. Topical Creams- Topical antifungals are often prescribed to treat toenail fungus. You apply these products directly to the toenail and surrounding skin to a toenail fungus infection. Common topical antifungals include terbinafine (Lamisil) and clotrimazole (Lotrimin AF). Topical creams should be applied exactly as directed by your podiatrist.
3. Medication- Oral antifungus medications are also prescribed to treat toenail fungus. Options include itraconazole (Sporanox) and terbinafine (Lamisil). These medications help the toenail grow free of infection. Patients typically take this type of medication for 6 to 12 weeks.
4. Laser Therapy- Laser therapy is one of the newer innovations in fighting toenail fungus infections. The laser works by shining a beam of light into a nail infected with fungus. The laser penetrates the toenail and vaporizes the fungus on the toenail. Laser therapy reaches to the core of the infection and destroys the fungus completely.
5. Surgery- In some cases, surgical treatment may be necessary. Surgical nail removal can be done in your podiatrist's office. During surgical nail removal, your podiatrist will inject a local anesthetic into your toe so you will not feel any pain. Your podiatrist will then loosen the folds of skin around the nail and separate the nail from the toe by easing a tool beneath the nail.
Toenail fungus is an embarrassing condition that impacts your quality of life. Don't wait another minute- call Family Foot Health Center at 732-370-1100 today to schedule an appointment in Howell, NJ. Get your life back on track by receiving the best treatment available.